Pinto Bean and Sausage Bake
|Dried pinto beans||1 Pound, soaked|
|Cold water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Italian sausage||1 Pound, casings removed (Sweet / Hot One)|
|Onion||4 Cup (64 tbs), chopped (4 Large Ones)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped (Large Clove)|
|Chili powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Unsalted tortilla chips||7 1⁄2 Ounce, crushed (1 Package)|
|Monterey jack cheese||8 Ounce, shredded (2 Cup)|
1) Preheat the oven at 350 degrees for 3 minutes.
2) Drain the pinto beans and keep them in a big pan.
3) Pour water into the pan and boil the pinto beans on low heat. Allow them to simmer for 1 hour.
4) Drain the pinto beans and reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid.
5) Place the pinto beans into the saucepan.
6) Take a big non-stick skillet and brown the sausage. Break the sausages into small pieces with the help of wooden spoon.
7) Drain the sausage on the paper towel. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings
8) Put onion in the skillet and saute for 10 minutes along with garlic and chili powder.
9) Add the sausage along with onion mixture, tomatoes, salt and reserved cooking liquid into the pinto beans.
10) Cover the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.
11) Take the tortilla chips and divide one third of the crushed tortilla chips between two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
12) Divide the pinto beans mixture into half and pour them into two pans.
13) Cover half of the pinto beans with tortilla chips and then with Monterey jack cheese.
14) Cover the remaining pinto beans mixture again with cheese and chips.
15) Keep the pan into the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
16) Transfer the dish to the serving platter. Cut them into slices before serving.