Shaker Baked Beans
|Dry navy beans||1 Pound|
|Cold water||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and sliced|
|Catsup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
1) Wash the beans and add cold water to them.
2) In a saucepan, pour all the beans and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
3) Turn off the heat, cover the pan and leave it for an hour.
4) Now, add 1 teaspoon salt to the beans, cover them and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
4) When beans are ready, drain and save liquid.
5) Take a 2 quart pot or casserole and put onions and beans in it.
6) Add 2 1/4 cups of the bean liquid with butter or margarine, catsup, molasses, dry mustard, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix it well.
7) Add this mixture to the beans. Cover the container and bake at 325° for 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Check for more liquid if needed.
8) Replace the cover after about 4 hours and let the bean brown.
9) Serve Shaker baked beans hot with salad and rice.