Old Fashioned Baked Beans
|Navy beans||1 Pound|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Dark molasses||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Onions||2 , cut in quarters|
1) Thoroughly wash the beans.
2) In a large bowl, cover the beans by pouring sufficient water. Let them soak overnight.
3) Drain the beans, before using.
4) Preheat the oven at 325°F, before baking.
5) In a saucepan, place the beans and cover with water.
6) Place the saucepan over heat to simmer 1 to 2 hours, until the beans are tender.
7) Add brown sugar, salt, mustard and molasses and mix properly.
8) In the bottom of a 2-quart casserole, place the onion quarters.
9) Pour the beans over the onions.
10) If required, pour in sufficient amount of boiling water to cover.
11) Cover the casserole and place inside oven to bake for 5 to 6 hours, adding more water if needed.
12) For last 30-40 minutes of cooking, uncover the casserole.
13) Serve hot with bread rolls, by garnishing with lemon slices, if desired.
Calories 538 Calories from Fat 15
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.9%
Saturated Fat 0.22 g1.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 735.1 mg30.6%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.6%
Dietary Fiber 28.9 g115.4%
Sugars 32.7 g
Protein 26 g52.3%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 8.5%
Calcium 32.5% Iron 51.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet