Stir Fried Beef With Chilli And Black Bean Sauce
Onion - 1 small
Green pepper - 1 small, cored and seeded
Seasoned oil - about 1 pint (600 ml)
Fresh ginger root - a few small bits
Spring onion - 1, cut into short sections
Fresh red or green chilies - 1-2, cut into small bits
Black bean sauce - 2 tablespoons
Msg (optional) - pinch
For the marinade:
Soft brown sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
Dark or light soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Chinese rice wine - 2 teaspoons
Bicarbonate of soda or baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Thick cornflour paste - 2 teaspoons
Oil - 1 tablespoon
1. To prepare the beef cut it into thin slices about the size of large postage stamps.
2. In a bowl mix the marinade ingredients.
3. Marinate in the marinade for at least 2-3 hours.
4. Cut the onion and green pepper into small triangular pieces.
5. In a preheated wok until medium hot, heat the oil blanch the beef for about 1 minute or until the color changes, stirring to separate the slices; remove with a strainer and drain.
6. Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 2 tablespoons in the wok, add the ginger and spring onion to flavor the oil for a few seconds.
7. Stir-fry the chillies, onion and green pepper for about 1 minute, add the black bean sauce and cook for another minute.
8. Then add the beef, blend well and finally add the MSG (if using).
9. Stir a few times more and serve hot.