Bean and Rice Stuffed Peppers
|Red kidney beans||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Green peppers||6 Medium|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cooked parboiled rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), without salt and fat|
|Chopped green chilies||1 Can (10 oz), drained|
|No salt added stewed tomatoes||1 Can (10 oz), undrained (1 Can)|
|Extra sharp cheddar cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), divided|
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) In a colander, add in the kidney beans. Wash the beans under cold water for about a minute. Let the beans drain.
3) Slice off the top ends of the peppers and scoop out their seeds.
4) Add in the peppers into a pot of boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain the peppers and put aside.
5) In a medium bowl, add in the cooked rice, beans, chiles, tomatoes and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well.
6) Stuff the peppers with the bean mixture. Transfer them to a 12X8X2-inch baking dish.
7) Into the baking dish pour 1/2-inch water. Bake the peppers for 25 minutes.
8) Add in the 1/2 cup of cheese over the baked peppers. Bake for 5 minutes longer or until the cheese has melted.
9) Serve the Bean and Rice Stuffed Peppers hot of the oven. Serve your favorite sauce on the side.
Calories 616 Calories from Fat 167
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.1%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 57.5 mg19.2%
Sodium 469.9 mg19.6%
Total Carbohydrates 81 g26.9%
Dietary Fiber 17.3 g69.2%
Sugars 15.6 g
Protein 35 g69.7%
Vitamin A 56.4% Vitamin C 607.4%
Calcium 53.5% Iron 43.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet