Simmered Mixed Meats with String Beans and Potatoes
|Lean beef brisket||2 Pound, trimmed of excess fat|
|Smoked pork loin||3 Pound, cut into 1 inch thick chops, uncooked (10 chops)|
|Bacon slab||1 Pound, cut into slices 1/4 inch thick and about 4 inches long (preferably double smoked, with rind removed)|
|Pork sausages||10 , uncooked|
|Frankfurters/Vienna sausages||10 Small|
|Salted boiling water||2 Quart|
|Green string beans||2 Pound, trimmed (fresh)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon (preferably freshly grated)|
|Boiling potatoes||4 Pound, peeled and boiled in salted water until tender|
1. Take a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot, put in the brisket. Add in enough cold water to cover it by at least 2 inches.
2. Allow it to come to a boil over high heat. Using a spoon, skimming off the foam and scum as they rise to the surface.
3. Lower the heat to low and simmer partially covered for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Put in the smoked pork loin and bacon, partially cover the pot, and cook for a further 15 minutes longer.
5. Put in the knackwurst and pork sausages and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Now add drop in the small frankfurters or Vienna sausages. Simmer slowly for about 5 minutes.
7. Wash, clean and prepare the green beans as the meat cooks.
8. In a 3- to 4-quart saucepan, bring 2 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil. Add in the beans carefully and cook briskly, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Boil until they are tender but still slightly crisp.
9. Through a sieve set over a bowl, drain the beans, and set aside the cooking liquid. Run cold water over the beans, and keep it aside.
10. Heat a heavy 8- to 10-inch skillet over moderate heat, and melt the butter.
11. Let the foam to subside, and add in the flour and continue to stir until the mixture is smooth.
12. Transfer the flour mixture into 2 cups of the string bean liquid. Cook over high heat until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens heavily. Stir constantly.
13. Set the heat to low. Put in the garlic, nutmeg and salt, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
14. Put in the beans to the sauce and take care as to cook only long enough to heat them through.
15. Using a knife, carve the brisket into slices 1/4 inch thick.
16. Cut the sausage into serving pieces.
17. On a large heated serving platter, spread the string beans and their sauce.
18. Keep the meats over the beans neatly, keep the potatoes around them.
19. Serve immediately.
All the meats should be completely covered with water throughout the cooking period; replenish the pot with boiling water whenever necessary.
Calories 1155 Calories from Fat 740
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 82 g126.1%
Saturated Fat 31.7 g158.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 252.5 mg84.2%
Sodium 2446.2 mg101.9%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g30.1%
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 54 g108.4%
Vitamin A 29.8% Vitamin C 65.8%
Calcium 18.1% Iron 30.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet