Cuban Black Beans
|Dry black beans||1 Pound, rinsed and picked over|
|Bell pepper||1 , removed|
|Olive oil||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , diced|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), diced|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Place the black beans in a glass bowl and cover with water. The water level should be 2 inches above the beans. Allow to soak overnight.
2. Place the beans and the water it was soaking in into a saucepan and add water if needed. The water should again be 2 inches above the beans.
3. Add the bell pepper and the bay leaf and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 2 hours. Add more water if needed to just barely cover the beans.
5. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion, garlic cloves, and bell pepper. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
6. Add the diced serrano chile, cumin, and vinegar. Mix well.
7. Add the sofrito to the beans and mix well. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
For more information please visit: http://www.simplefoodie.com
Calories 377 Calories from Fat 169
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.5%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 129 mg5.4%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.3%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 13 g26.4%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 54.5%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 22.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet