Green Beans In Aquavit
|Caraway seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Anchovy paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sherry vinegar/White wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Green beans||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Red potatoes||1 Pound (small ones)|
|Scallions||8 , thinly sliced (including some of the green tops)|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
1) With a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, grind the caraway seeds to a fine powder.
2) In a large bowl, place the caraway seed powder.
3) Pour in olive oil, anchovy paste and vinegar into the powder. Mix thoroughly and place aside.
4) In a large pot of boiling water, add the beans to cook for 7 minutes, or until barely tender.
5) With a slotted spoon, remove the beans and place into a large bowl.
6) Pour the dressing over the beans and store the cooking water.
7) Return the cooking water to a boil and add the potatoes to cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are just tender.
8) In a bowl of cold water, place the cooked potatoes.
9) Quickly peel them and slice into half along the length and then crosswise into 1/8-inch slices.
10) In a bowl, transfer the potatoes as you cut.
11) Add 3 tablespoons of aquavit over the potatoes and toss well. Cool the potatoes to bring at room temperature.
12) Add the potatoes to the beans and sprinkle with scallions and remaining 2 tablespoons aquavit.
13) Gently toss the mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
14) Cover and place inside refrigerator overnight.
15) Bring the salad back to room temperature before serving.
Calories 350 Calories from Fat 131
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.21 mg0.07%
Sodium 28.1 mg1.2%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.3%
Dietary Fiber 11.2 g45%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 8 g15.4%
Vitamin A 6.5% Vitamin C 48%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 14.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet