Garden Green Bean And Tomato Salad With Warm Bacon And Pine Nut Dressing
|Pine nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Green beans||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Beefsteak tomatoes||2 Medium, cut into wedges|
|Smoked bacon slab||6 Ounce, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°.
2) In a shallow baking pan, place the pine nuts.
3) Place the baking pan inside the oven to toast the pine nuts for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
4) In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the beans, stirring once, until just tender, about 5 minutes.
5) Immediately drain the water and wash the beans in running cold water.
6) Drain the beans thoroughly and arrange on a platter.
7) Nicely arrange the tomato wedges around the beans.
8) Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over low heat.
9) Add the bacon to cook until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes.
10) Discard excess bacon fat by reserving 2 tablespoons.
11) In the skillet, add olive oil and stir in vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
12) Place over heat and bring to a boil. Simmer the liquid for 1 minute by reducing the heat, until the sugar is dissolved.
13) Add the pine nuts and pour the dressing over the beans and tomatoes.
14) Serve the salad immediately.
Calories 292 Calories from Fat 198
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.6%
Saturated Fat 3 g14.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.5 mg5.8%
Sodium 483.8 mg20.2%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.4%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 9 g17.8%
Vitamin A 13.8% Vitamin C 17.7%
Calcium 1.1% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet