Garden Green Bean And Tomato Salad With Warm Bacon And Pine Nut Dressing
|Pine nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Green beans||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Beefsteak tomatoes||2 Medium, cut into wedges|
|Smoked bacon slab||6 Ounce, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°.
2) In a shallow baking pan, place the pine nuts.
3) Place the baking pan inside the oven to toast the pine nuts for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
4) In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the beans, stirring once, until just tender, about 5 minutes.
5) Immediately drain the water and wash the beans in running cold water.
6) Drain the beans thoroughly and arrange on a platter.
7) Nicely arrange the tomato wedges around the beans.
8) Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over low heat.
9) Add the bacon to cook until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes.
10) Discard excess bacon fat by reserving 2 tablespoons.
11) In the skillet, add olive oil and stir in vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
12) Place over heat and bring to a boil. Simmer the liquid for 1 minute by reducing the heat, until the sugar is dissolved.
13) Add the pine nuts and pour the dressing over the beans and tomatoes.
14) Serve the salad immediately.