Pinto Bean Stew
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Canola oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Dried pinto beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked overnight|
|Green pepper||1 , diced|
|Cubed pumpkin||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Corn||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Drain the pinto beans.
2) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
3) In a non-stick pan, heat oil and sautÃ© the onions, garlic, oregano and chili powder for 3 to 4 minutes.
4) Add the tomatoes to the onion mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
5) Transfer the mixture to casserole dish.
6) Add the stock and beans.
7) Cover and bake for 1 ½ hours.
8) Remove from the oven and add the peppers, pumpkin, and corn.
9) Bake for 1 hour more or until the beans and vegetables are tender.
10) Lightly mash half of the beans to help thicken the stew.
11) Serve hot with steamed rice.