White Bean Gumbo
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Stock||3 2⁄3 Cup (58.67 tbs)|
|Green pepper||1 , finely chopped|
|Celery stalks||1 , finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Cooked pea beans||2 Cup (32 tbs), drained|
|Hot pepper sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Hot cooked rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1) In a non-stick pan, sift the flour and cook over medium-high heat.
2) Keep stirring the flour until it is medium brown in color, for about 7 minutes.
3) Remove the pan from the heat and pour in 2/3 cup of stock.
4) Whisk the mixture until smooth.
5) In a saucepan, bring the remaining stock to boil.
6) Whisk in the flour mixture in the stock.
7) Add the peppers, celery, onions, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves and thyme.
8) Bring to a boil, cover the pan loosely and simmer.
9) Cook the gumbo for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10) Add the beans and hot-pepper sauce.
11) Simmer until the vegetables are tender for about 15 minutes.
12) Discard the bay leaves.
13) Serve the Gumbo hot with rice.