Bacon Potato White Bean And Red Pepper Soup
|Bacon||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 3/8 inch dice (Hickory Cured)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, minced|
|Leeks||3 Large, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (White And Tender Green)|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Celery rib||1 Small, coarsely chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices|
|Chicken stock/Canned low sodium broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Freshly ground white pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|All purpose potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (2 Pieces)|
|White kidney beans||19 Ounce, drained and rinsed (1 Can)|
1. Place the bacon in a large saucepan and cover with water. Simmer over moderately high heat for 5 minutes. Drain and pat the bacon dry with paper towels. Wipe out the saucepan and return the bacon to the pan. Fry over moderately high heat until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels.
2. Discard all the fat in the pan and wipe out with paper towels. Add the butter to the pan and melt over moderate heat. Add the onion, leeks, carrot, celery and red bell pepper. Cook until the vegetables are lightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the bacon, chicken stock, salt and white pepper. Simmer, skimming occasionally, for 5 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes and simmer, skimming, until the potatoes are just tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes.
5. Add the white beans and simmer 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve hot. (This can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Remove any accumulated fat before reheating.)