|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground oregano||1 Teaspoon, dried|
|Ground marjoram||1 Teaspoon, dried|
|Dried black beans||2 Cup (32 tbs), picked through and rinsed|
|Onion||1 , finely diced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Serrano chilies||2 , seeded and minced|
|Tomato puree||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a dry, heavy skillet, toast cumin, coriander, oregano, and marjoram and toast over low heat for about 1 minute until fragrant; stir frequently and do not scorch.
2. In a large saucepan, transfer the toasted cumin mixture and add beans, onion, garlic, serranos, bay leaves, and tomato puree.
3. Add water, enough to cover the beans by 2 to 3 inches.
4. Heat the beans mixture over medium heat and bring it to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 2 hours until the beans are just tender.
6. If the water is drying out, add more water to keep the beans covered while cooking.
7. Season with salt.
8. Add barbecue sauce, stir and continue cooking for about 10 minutes until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
9. Serve over a bed of rice.