Homemade Chilli Con Carne
|Steak||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Lean stewing steak||1 1⁄2 Pound (700 Grams)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Stock||1⁄2 Pint (3 Deciliter)|
|Peeled tomatoes||15 Ounce (1 Tin Or 425 Grams)|
|Tomatoes||15 Ounce, peeled|
|Castor sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Red kidney beans||15 Ounce (1 Tin Or 425 Grams)|
1. Trim excess fat off the meat.
2. Cut into cubes.
3. Peel and slice the onion.
4. Crush the garlic clove, peel and mince finely.
5. Heat oven to 325Â°F (170Â°C or Gas No. 3)
6. In a large casserole or dutch oven, heat oil over stove.
7. Add onion and sautÃ© until limp.
8. Add garlic and meat cubes and sautÃ© until meat is evenly browned.
9. Stir in chili powder and flour and sauce with meat and onions for 2 minutes.
10. Gradually pour in stock, stirring to blend well
11. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
12. Tip in tomatoes with liquid and stir in seasonings.
13. Cover casserole with tight fitting lid and transfer to middle level of oven.
14. Stew slowly for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
15. About 15 minutes before meat is cooked, stir in drained kidney beans.
16. Continue to cook until the meat is tender.
17. Serve hot over rice or with crusty bread if you like.
Calories 1201 Calories from Fat 375
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g64.5%
Saturated Fat 10.2 g50.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80.5 mg26.8%
Sodium 676 mg28.2%
Total Carbohydrates 89 g29.7%
Dietary Fiber 20.7 g82.8%
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 118 g235.1%
Vitamin A 53.2% Vitamin C 54.8%
Calcium 20.2% Iron 60.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet