Deep South Spiced Rice and Beans
|Long grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Green bell pepper||1 Small, cored, deseeded and chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1 Small, cored, deseeded and chopped|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Chili||1 Small, deseeded and finely chopped (Red / Green)|
|Canned red kidney beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), drained, rinsed|
|Fresh basil||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh thyme/1 teaspoon dried thyme||2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Cajun spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh basil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (A Handful, For Garnish)|
1. In a saucepan, bring salted water to a boil.
2. Add the rice to the boiling water and cook until tender-firm.
3. Drain the rice in a colander and refresh under tap water to arrest further cooking. Let drain well.
4. While rice is boiling, in a small skillet, heat the olive oil.
5. Add the green and red bell peppers and onion and sautÃ© them for about 5 minutes until limp.
6. Stir in the chili and tomatoes, and continue to sautÃ© another 2 minutes.
7. Take pan off the heat and keep aside.
8. When the rice has drained, tip it into a serving bowl.
9. Add the vegetable mixture, red kidney beans, Cajun spice, herbs and seasonings to the rice.
10. Toss the mixture to mix well.
11. Scatter fresh basil leaves over the salad and serve.
Calories 370 Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.5%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 294 mg12.3%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.2%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 7 g13.3%
Vitamin A 47.1% Vitamin C 119.9%
Calcium 5.8% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet