New Orleans Red Beans
|Dried kidney beans||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Bacon drippings||2 Tablespoon|
|Ham/Pickled pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
1. Prepare the beans by wash and sorting them.
2. Add water, boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and soak for 1 hour.
3. Heat drippings; add meat and brown slowly.
4. Saute onions and garlic such that tender and bring to a boil adding the remaining ingredients.
5. Lowering the heat to 200 degrees F — 225 degrees F simmer with cover for 2 hours such that tender.
6. In last 20 minutes of cooking, with a spoon stir frequently and mash lightly.
7. Serve hot with desired garnish.