Baked Beans With Gusto
|Great northern beans||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), packed|
|Dry mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound, scored|
1. Preheat the oven
2. Soak the beans in a large pot overnight. Bring the beans to a boil and then simmer for two minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for one hour.
3. Bring to a boil again just before serving. Then add 1 onion and 1 teaspoon salt. Half cover pan; simmer beans for 30 minutes.
4. Drain beans; discard onion and water. Stud remaining onions with cloves; place in 2 1/2-quart bean pot or heavy casserole with tight-fitting cover.
5. Place beans in pot. Combine molasses, 3/4 cup brown sugar, mustard and remaining salt and pepper in bowl; stir in 2 cups water. Pour mixture over beans; push pork into beans.
6. Cover tightly. Bake at 250 degrees for 4 hours and 30 minutes to 5 hours. Remove cover; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar. Bake for 30 minutes longer.
7. Serve hot