White Bean Tomato And Mushroom Casserole
|Dried white beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cold water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mushrooms||8 Ounce, halved|
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Chopped fresh basil/1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F before baking.
2) In a large bowl, soak white beans in cold water and keep aside for at least 8 hours or a whole night after covering the bowl with a plate. Else follow the quick-soak method.
3) On the following day, drain beans and keep aside.
4) In a flameproof casserole, bring a mixture of cold water, tomatoes and beans to a boil.
5) Stir occasionally and boil the mixture for 10 minutes.
6) Cover the casserole and bake in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours,stirring only when needed, until the beans are soft when checked with a fork but not mushy and has absorbed most of the liquid.
7) In a large nonstick skillet, over moderate heat, heat oil and sauté mushrooms, onions, and garlic for about 5 minutes until soft.
8) Add vegetables to the bean mixture using a slotted spoon after removing them from the casserole.
9) Sprinkle with chopped basil and salt and pepper to taste.
10) Serve hot.