Pickled Green Beans
|Fresh green beans||1 Pound, ends trimmed (Young Variety)|
|White wine vinegar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, thinly sliced|
|Whole black peppercorns||2 Tablespoon|
|Mace blades||1 (Whole)|
|Fresh thyme sprig/Oregano / tarragon||1 Large|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
1) Sterlize 3 jars, rinse, drain well and dry them thoroughly in a warm oven.
2) In an enameled or stainless steel saucepan, pour the vinegar, stir in the onion, sugar, black peppercorns, bay leaves, mace and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover and boil for a minute, turn off the heat and cool.
3) In a large saucepan , boil the salted water, add the beans, simmer for 2-3 minutes until they are just tender.
4) Quickly drain the beans and rinse them under cold running water, then dry them thoroughly and put the beans upright in the sterilized jars.
5) Strain the vinegar mixture over the beans into the jars to cover them completely.
6) Seal the jars with canning lids as per sealing instructions and store the jars in a cool, dry place for 2 months before using.
7) Use as required.