Kanji Payar Thoran Whole Green Beans
|Whole green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|For the seasoning|
|Refined vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry red chili||1 , broken into 3 pieces|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
1. The green beans may be lightly roasted for two minutes before cooking. This prevents it from getting mashed.
2. Wash and clean the beans and cook covered in 3 cups boiling water. When it starts to boil, half open the pan and cook till the water is almost absorbed.
3. Grind together cumin seeds and turmeric powder. Crush garlic, green chilli and grated coconut. Mix the ground ingredients together.
4. Before all the water evaporates ladle the ground ingredients into the centre of the cooked beans and cover it with some of the beans. When steam escapes, stir gently using the handle of the ladle and let it dry without getting mashed. Add salt and mix well.
5. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add chilli and curry leaves and fry lightly. Add to the thoran.