Old Fashioned Baked Beans
|Navy beans||1 Pound, dried|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound, rinsed|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Ketchup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
1. Put dried beans and water into a 3-quart glass casserole. Cover and soak overnight.
2. Cut salt pork into 1/4-inch slices, then cut into pieces. Spread on a roast rack set in a 2-quart glass baking dish. Cover with a paper towel. Cook in microwave oven 5 minutes at HIGH. Reserve 1 teaspoon drippings and the salt pork.
3. Combine reserved drippings, celery and onion in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 2 minutes at HIGH.
4. Add the vegetables to beans; stir. Cover with an all-glass lid or plastic wrap. Cook in microwave oven 15 minutes at HIGH. Stir. Cook covered 30 minutes at SIMMER; stir after 15 minutes.
5. Drain beans, reserving 1 cup liquid. Combine remaining ingredients, reserved salt pork and reserved bean liquid. Add to beans; mix well. Cook covered in microwave oven 45 minutes at SIMMER, or until beans are tender and sauce has thickened; stir every 15 minutes.