Chard, Bean, And Pancetta Soup
|Swiss chard||3⁄4 Pound|
|Pancetta/Bacon||6 Ounce, diced to make 3/4 cup|
|Oven sauteed onions and garlic||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fat free chicken broth||2 Quart|
|Lemon juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||3 Tablespoon|
|Thyme leaves/Dried thyme||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned cannellini beans||75 Ounce, drained, rinsed (White Variety, Five Cans, 15 Ounce Each)|
1. Rinse and drain chard. Trim discolored ends from stems. Thinly slice stems and coarsely chop leaves.
2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir pancetta often until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in chard, sauteed onions and garlic, broth, lemon juice, tomato paste, and thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chard stems are tender-crisp to bite, 2 to 4 minutes; stir occasionally.
4. Stir in beans. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours.
5. Ladle 1/2 the soup into each of 2 plastic freezer bags (1-gal. size). Seal bags and freeze.
6. Thaw 1 bag. Empty soup into a 3- to 4-quart pan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.