Chalupas & Gorditas
|Refried black beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chilied meat filling||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato salsa||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Fresh)|
|Masa harina||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lard/Vegetable shortening||3 Tablespoon, melted|
|Grated queso ahejo||3 Tablespoon|
|Jalapeno chilies||2 Small, seeded, minced (Fresh)|
|Chicken stock/Broth||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Warm)|
|Lard/Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Queso anejo||1 Tablespoon, crumbled|
|Ripe olive slice||4|
|Fresh coriander||1 Tablespoon (Leaves And Sprigs)|
1. Prepare Refried Black Beans, omitting cheese.
2. Prepare Chilied Meat Filling.
3. Prepare Fresh Tomato Salsa.
4. Mix masa harina, 3 tablespoons (45 mL) each melted lard and grated cheese, the chilies and salt in medium
5. Divide dough into 24 even pieces. For gorditas, shape 12 pieces into balls; flatten into 1/4 inch (6-mm) thick rounds. For chalupas, shape 12 pieces into 2-inch (5-cm) long bars; flatten into 1/4-inch (6-mm) thick ovals. Pinch up edges of rounds and ovals to make 1/2 inch (1.3-cm) high lips. Pinch ends of ovals to make boat shapes.
6. Melt enough lard in deep, heavy, large skillet for 1/4 inch (6-mm) depth. Heat over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Fry 5 or 6 dough shells at a time: add shells to skillet, flat-side-down; fry 1 minute. Spoon hot lard into center of each shell; fry 1 minute longer. Turn shells over; fry until golden, about 1 minute longer. Remove with slotted spatula; drain on paper toweling. Keep warm in 250°F (120 C) oven until all have been fried.
7. Quickly reheat beans and meat filling. Spread 2 tea spoons (10 mL) beans in bottom of each shell; add 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salsa or to taste. Top with about 1 tablespoon (15 mL) meat filling. Garnish with crumbled cheese, radish and olive slices and coriander.