|Dried beans||3⁄4 Pound (Red/Pink)|
|Cold water||1250 Milliliter (5 Cups)|
|Smoked ham hock/Smoked pork neck bone||3⁄4 Pound|
|Lard/Vegetable oil||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|White onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Tomato paste||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Jalapeno/Serrano chilies||3 , finely chopped|
|Chopped coriander||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
1. Rinse beans thoroughly in sieve under cold running water, picking out any debris or blemished beans.
2. Combine beans, water and ham hock in 4- or 5-quart (4- or 5-L) Dutch oven. Heat over high heat to boiling; reduce heat to very low. Simmer, covered, just until beans are tender but not soft, about 1 1/2 hours.
3. Heat lard in medium skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; saute until soft about 4 minutes. Add tomato paste, garlic and chilies; cook and stir 30 seconds.
4. Add onion mixture and salt to beans; cook, covered, over low heat, stirring frequently, until beans are soft, about 30 minutes.
5. Remove ham hock to plate; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bone; chop meat and add to beans.
6. Heat beans until very hot. Just before serving, stir in coriander; serve with Corn Tortilla Chips.