Fava Bean Rounds
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dried white fava beans||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Garbanzo Beans)|
|Red onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Chopped parsley||3 Tablespoon|
|Gold medal all purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground red pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon (Cayenne)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Heat 2 cups water and the beans to boiling in 2-quart saucepan. Boil 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
2. Add enough water to cover beans if necessary. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 to 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain, reserving liquid.
3. Mash beans with fork; add 2 to 3 tablespoons reserved liquid if necessary. (Do not puree beans in blender or food processor.) Stir in remaining ingredients except oil. (Mixture should be thick.) Cover and let stand 1 hour.
4. Pinch off 1-inch pieces; shape into rounds and flatten. Let stand 30 minutes.
5. Heat oil (2 inches) in 3-quart saucepan to 375°F. Fry 4 or 5 rounds at a time in oil 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
Calories 727 Calories from Fat 509
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g88.6%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.9 mg17.6%
Sodium 544.1 mg22.7%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g12.9%
Dietary Fiber 16.2 g64.8%
Sugars 4.4 g
Protein 18 g36%
Vitamin A 21.7% Vitamin C 29.3%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 30.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet