Golden Beer Battered Fish with Chips
|Plain flour||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Cornflour||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Lager beer||2 1⁄2 Fluid Ounce (75 Milliliter)|
|Sparkling water||75 Milliliter|
|Sunflower oil||1 3⁄4 Pint (About 1 Liter, For Frying)|
|Fillet||14 Ounce, halved (400 Gram, Sustainable Cod, Hake Or Haddock)|
|Potatoes||25 Ounce, peeled and sliced into thick chips (Maris Piper Or Desiree, 750 Gram)|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Sunflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a large bowl mix the flour, cornflour, baking powder and turmeric, thereafter season and spoon 1 tablespoon onto a plate and set aside.
2. Into the bowl add in the beer and water slowly, using a wooden spoon and stirring such that it results in a smooth and lump-free batter.
3. Thereafter allow it to rest for 30 minutes while preparing the chips.
4. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
5. Take a large pan and boil water, thereafter put in the chipped potatoes and let it boil for 2-3 minutes such that the outsides get tender and not soft.
6. Onto a large baking tray containing the flour add in the drained potatoes with oil and some salt. Carefully toss them such that all the potatoes are coated with the flour mixture uniformly and the flour is not dusty anymore.
7. Let it to roast for 30 minutes, rotating from time to time, such that the chips are golden and crisp.
8. For preparing the fish, in a deep saucepan heat the 1 litre of oil such that a drop of batter sizzles and crisps up instantly.
9. Using a kitchen paper pat dry the fish and toss it in the prepared turmeric flour mix.
10. Dip into the batter shaking off any excess flour coating and slowly add in each fillet into the hot oil to let it fry for about 6-8 minutes or according to the thickness of the fish such that it is golden and crisp.
11. With a large slotted spoon, lift the fish, drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt.
12. Serve with hot chips and homemade tomato sauce.
Calories 4588 Calories from Fat 3899
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 441 g677.8%
Saturated Fat 58.6 g293.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 70 mg23.3%
Sodium 358.9 mg15%
Total Carbohydrates 130 g43.2%
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g38.5%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 45 g90.4%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 120.4%
Calcium 23.6% Iron 24.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet