Individual Whole Wheat Batter Loaves
|Active dry yeast/1 cake compressed yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Honey/Brown sugar / molasses||2 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Soft shortening||2 Tablespoon|
1. You will need warm water (105°F.to 115°F.) for dry yeast; use lukewarm (80°F.to 90 °F.) for compressed.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, sprinkle dry yeast or crumble cake into water.
3. Let stand for a few minutes; then stir until dissolved.
4. Add honey, about half of each of the flours, the salt, and shortening.
5. Blend at low speed, then beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. (Or beat by hand.)
6. Stir in remaining flours with spoon.
7. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
8. Stir down and spread evenly in 6 greased pans (4 3/4 x 2 5/8 x 1/2 inches).
9. Smooth and shape tops of loaves with floured hand.
10. Let rise until batter reaches tops of pans, about 40 minutes.
11. Bake in preheated moderate oven (375°F.) for about 30 minutes.