Baked Striped Bass
|Whole striped bass with head||5 Pound|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Lightly grease a shallow roasting pan.
3. Wash fish inside and out under cold running water; pat dry with paper towels.
4. Sprinkle fish inside and out with the salt. Set aside to marinate Slice lemon thinly; cut slices in quarters.
5. Just before serving, use a small, sharp-pointed knife to make deep cuts, about 2 inches apart, along both sides of fish. With fingers, press a piece of lemon and a small sprig of parsley into each cut.
6. Place fish in prepared pan.
7. Pour any remaining lemon slices and parsley, along with onion, carrot, celery, thyme, and bay leaf. Pour in wine and 1/2 cup water. Pour butter over fish. Bake, basting frequently with liquid in pan, 30 to 40 minutes, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
8. With large spatulas, carefully lift fish to heated serving platter. With slotted spoon, lift out vegetables, and place around fish.
9. Garnish with parsley and lemon butter and serve hot.