Honey Basil Chicken
|Whole chicken legs||4 , skinned|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Safflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted chicken stock||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), thinly sliced|
|Fresh basil leaves||40|
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Cut 4, 12 inch squares of aluminum foil.
3. Season the chicken legs with the salt and pepper.
4. Use a heavy bottomed skillet.
5. Melt butter or heat oil over a medium heat.
6. Brown the legs for about two minutes on each side
7. Center a single chicken leg on the cut foil square.
8. Drizzle 1 ½ teaspoons of the honey and 1 ½ teaspoons of the stock over each leg.
9. Arrange 1/4 of the garlic slices on each leg and layer with basil leaves.
10. Wrap the chicken in the foil by bringing opposite sides together and sealing them over the top.
11. Place the foil packages on a baking tray.
12. Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
13. Unwrap carefully, one packet to check whether the chicken has cooked by piercing the thigh with a sharp tipped knife. The meat should be white, juicy and succulent.
14. If undercooked, seal foil again and return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
15. Carefully unwrap each package and empty the legs to a platter for serving.
16. Arrange garlic and basil back on the chicken and spoon the juices collected from the foil packages to moist the chicken.
17. Serve hot.