Pan Fried Red Mullet With Basil And Citrus
|Red mullet||32 Ounce, filleted (4 Pieces About 225 Grams/8 Ounce Each)|
|Olive oil||90 Milliliter (6 Tablespoon)|
|Peppercorns||10 , crushed|
|Oranges||2 , one peeled and slice and one squeezed|
|Plain flour||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Grams/ 1 Tablespoon)|
|Canned anchovies||2 , drained and chopped|
|Shredded fresh basil||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Place the fish fillets in a shallow dish in a single layer. Pour over the olive oil and sprinkle with the crushed peppercorns. Lay the orange slices on top of the fish. Cover the dish, and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
2. Halve the lemon. Remove the skin and pith from one half using a small sharp knife, and slice thinly. Squeeze the juice from the other half.
3. Lift the fish out of the marinade, and pat dry on kitchen paper. Reserve the marinade and orange slices. Season the fish with salt and pepper and dust lightly with flour.
4. Heat 45 ml / 3 tbsp of the marinade in a hying pan. Add the fish and fry for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Discard the marinade that is left in the pan.
5. Melt the butter in the pan with any of the remaining original marinade. Add the anchovies and cook until completely softened.
6. Stir in the orange and lemon juice, then check the seasoning and simmer until slightly reduced. Stir in the basil. Pour the sauce over the fish and garnish with the reserved orange slices and the lemon slices.