Barley Mushroom Casserole
|Onions||2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Fresh mushrooms||1 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Quick-cooking barley||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
1. Use a medium size (2 1/2-quart) microwaveable casserole or dish, to melt and heat the butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the butter and cook for 4 minutes, stirring once, until limp.
3. Stir in the mushrooms, barley, herbs and seasonings coating them with butter.
4. Measure the stock and add to the vegetables and rice.
5. Cover the dish with a glass lid or with plastic wrap and return to the microwave.
6. Cook barley for less than 10 minutes just until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Stir once halfway through cooking time.
7. Allow the dish to stand covered for 5 minutes so that the flavors are absorbed.
8. Serve the barley straight from the casserole and accompany with a hearty stew.