Barley Sugar Twists
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Peppermint extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Red food color||1 Drop (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Green food color||1 Drop (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. In a 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar, water and vinegar; cook over low heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
2. Increase heat to medium; cook, covered, a few minutes, to let steam wash down sugar crystals. Cook, uncovered, without stirring, to 300°F. on candy thermometer, or until a few drops of syrup tested in cold water form hard, brittle threads. Add peppermint extract.
3. Turn half into another pan. To one half add a few drops red color. To other half add a few drops green color.
4. Pour onto two lightly greased cookie sheets. Cut into strips 6 inches long, 3/4 inch wide.
5. Place in warm oven (250°F.). Remove one strip at a time, and twist into spirals. Place on tray.