Dessert bar recipes are great any time of year, especially this recipe for Cranberry Orange Pistachio Bars. They have a delicious pastry crust bottom and an orange marmalade center with a crumbly pistachio topping that makes them irresistible. Sweet and salty, its fruity favorite will become a household favorite.
2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (gluten free)
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided
1 Cup (16 tbs), cold and diced
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped
1 Cup (16 tbs)
12 Ounce, rinsed and drained
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C and line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl stir together the juice and zest of the orange with the cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved.
3. In a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat, stir together the marmalade and cornstarch slurry for 2 minutes until the marmalade loosens up, the mixture is well combined and just starts to come to a boil.
4. Turn off the heat and stir in the cranberries and 1/4 cup of sugar and set aside to cool.
5. In a large bowl stir together the Bisquick with 1 ¼ cups sugar and 1 tsp. of cinnamon.
6. Add in the butter and using a pastry blender cut the butter into the dry mixture until the texture resembles coarse crumbs.
7. Slightly beat the eggs and vanilla together and add it to the dry mixture and stir until you have a very crumbly looking dough mixture.
8. Remove 1 cup of the crumb mixture and stir it together with the chopped pistachios and the rest of the cinnamon and set it aside.
9. Dump the remaining dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and press it firmly in place.
10. Before adding the cranberry mixture give it a quick stir to make sure that the cranberries are all well coated in the marmalade then evenly distribute it over the bottom crust layer.
11. Scatter the pistachio crumb mixture over the cranberries and bake for 55 minutes or until the top has a golden color.
12. Once the bars come out of the oven let it rest for 5 minutes then use a flat metal spatula to loosen the edges to ensure there will be no sticking later.
13. Cool the pan to room temperature then cover and refrigerate for 6 hours.