Spicy Apple Bars
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sieved|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Clove powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Rolled oats||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Peeled and diced apples||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||To Taste|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (for greasing)|
1. Pre heat an oven at 187.5 C (375 F).
2. Grease an 11 inch x 16 inch x 1 inch baking pan or 9 inch x 13 inch baking pan and keep aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients. Sieve together.
4. In a medium sized bowl, combine sugar and shortening. Cream well.
5. Add eggs and beat well till mixture is light and fluffy.
6. Add sieved ingredients and remaining ingredients and fold gently using a wooden spatula.
7. Transfer mixture on to greased pan and bake in pre heated oven for 25 minutes or till done.
8. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside to cool.
9. Cut into bars or squares. Makes 48 (2 inch) squares or 36 bars.
10. Serve warm, sprinkled with confectioners-€™ sugar. Alternatively, serve with lemon sauce.