Apple Almond Bars
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Egg||2 , slightly beaten|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cooking apples||4 Medium, peeled, cored, and sliced for 4 cups|
|Almond icing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Almond icing)|
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Add butter and using a pastry blender, cut butter until butter cut into pea sized pieces.
4. Add almonds and egg yolks; stir with a fork.
5. Into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan, spoon 2 cups of mixture and press to line bottom; keep aside.
6. In another medium mixing bowl, mix 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
7. Add apples and toss well to coat.
8. Onto the prepared pie crust, spread apple mixture evenly and sprinkle top with remaining crumb mixture.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes until top is golden.
10. Remove pan to a wired rack for cooling.
11. Drizzle almond icing on top and let it stand for several hours for setting.
12. Cut pie into bars.
13. Serve Apple Almond Bars for a healthy snack or a delicious dessert.