Apple Cheese Bars
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (bars & brownies)|
|Cooking apples||4 Medium, peeled and shredded (such as golden delicious, rome, granny smith, jonathan, or newtown pippin)|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, shredded (1 cup)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Powdered sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Cream cheese||2 Ounce, softened (1/4 cup)|
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, butter, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, and baking powder; using an electric mixer, beat until mixture is crumbly.
3. Into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan, place half of the mixture and press to line bottom.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until crust is lightly browned; keep aside.
5. In another large bowl, mix apples with cheese, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour and cinnamon.
6. Over the hot crust, spread apple mixture and top with remaining crumb mixture; keep aside.
7. In another medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
8. Gradually add powdered sugar and cream cheese; beat after each addition.
9. Over the crumb mixture, spoon egg mixture and bake for another 30-35 minutes.
10. Remove pan to a wire rack and let cool completely.
11. Cut into bars and store covered in refrigerator.
12. Serve Apple Cheese Bars alone.