Cranberry Macadamia Bars
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Macadamia nuts/Hazelnuts (filberts) / pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Eggs||2 Small, slightly beaten|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Orange peel||1 Teaspoon, finely shredded|
|Cranberries||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together flour and ¾ cup sugar.
3. Add butter and using a pastry blender, cut butter until it butter is mixed with flour to resemble coarse crumbs.
4. Add ½ cup nuts, stir to mix.
5. Into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan, add the mixture and press to line bottom.
6. Bake pie crust in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until it is brown at the edges.
7. In the meantime, in another mixing bowl, put together eggs, 1 1/4 cups sugar, milk, orange peel and vanilla; beat to combine.
8. Pour the egg mixture over hot crust and sprinkle remaining nuts, cranberries and coconut on top.
9. Return pan to oven and bake for another 30 minutes until top is golden brown.
10. Remove pan to a wired rack and let cool down slightly.
11. While it is still warm, cut into bars.
12. Let cool down completely in pan.
13. Serve Cranberry Macadamia Bars alone for a healthy snack.