High Energy Prune Bars
|Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Plain low-fat yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Prunes||12 , pitted, cooked and chopped|
|Vegetable cooking spray||1|
|Powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon, sifted|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) In a medium bowl, cream the margarine and add the brown sugar gradually. Beat well till the mixture is light and fluffy.
3) Add the vanilla and stir well.
4) Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5) Combine together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice and cinnamon. Mix well.
6) Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture, alternately with the yogurt. Mix well till just blended.
7) Combine together the prunes and lemon juice. Fold into the batter.
8) Into a 10x9x2-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray, spread the mixture.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, till a wooden pick inserted in the center emerges clean.
10) Take the preparation out of the oven, cool completely on a wire rack, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.
11) Arrange the bars on a serving plate and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2184 Calories from Fat 534
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g92.5%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g64.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 429.7 mg143.2%
Sodium 2527.1 mg105.3%
Total Carbohydrates 369 g123.1%
Dietary Fiber 14.5 g58%
Sugars 152.9 g
Protein 46 g92.7%
Vitamin A 58.4% Vitamin C 18.8%
Calcium 88.3% Iron 90.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet