|Basic shortcrust pastry dough||1 (for base, made with 1/2 pound flour)|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce|
|Golden syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Sweetened condensed milk||1⁄2 Ounce (1 can)|
|Plain chocolate||4 Ounce|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) To prepare the base, on a floured surface, roll out the dough and use it to line the bottom of a Swiss roll tin of 11x7-inches.
3) Prick the dough.
4) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, till golden in color.
5) To prepare the filling, in a pan, put all the ingredients and gently heat them till dissolved, constantly stirring.
6) Bring the mixture to a boil slowly and then gently simmer it for 5 to 7 minutes till thick, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
7) Take the mixture off the heat and let it cool slightly.
8) Spread the lukewarm mixture over the pastry and set aside to completely cool.
9) To prepare the topping, in a heatproof bowl, put the butter and chocolate and stand it over a pan of simmering water. Let the contents melt.
10) Spread the mixture all over the filling. Let it set and then cut into bars.
11) If you wish to freeze the bars, flash freeze till firm and then pack in a rigid container. Separate each layer with foil. Seal, label and store in the fridge.
12) To serve without freezing, place the bars on a serving plate and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. To serve frozen bars, first thaw at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours and then serve. These would make a very good dessert, or even a quick snack.