Spiced Molasses Bars
|Pitted prunes||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Sunsweet)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. In a bowl, mix together flour and ground spices.
2. In another bowl, cream together shortening, egg, molasses and sugar, until light and fluffy. Add the flour with spices and blend well. Add in prunes and coconut and mix to a dough, chill for 30 min.
3. Spread the chilled dough into two 3.5 inch wide and place on a greased baking sheet.
4. In a preheated oven, bake the mixture for about 30 minutes at 200 degrees centigrade, until slightly browned.
5. Allow to cool and cut into bars.
6. Serve cool.