Coconut Fig Bars
|Sifted cake flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Shortening||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried figs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
1) Combine and sift flour once.
2) Measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift once more.
3) Slowly add in the sugar to eggs, while beating well.
4) Add in the shortening, then figs, lemon rind, and coconut.
5) Mix well.
6) Add in the flour alternating with water.
7) For a thin, chewy bar, spread the mix in two greased 8x8x2-inch pans.
8) Place in the oven and bake at 325°F for about 35 minutes.
9) Cool and cut in 21/2xl1/4-inch bars.
10) Remove from the pans.
11) Serve as a breakfast item.