Molasses Date-Nut Bars
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Chopped nuts||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Pitted dates||7 Ounce, cut fine|
|Confectioner’s sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Grease and lightly flour a 9 inch square pan
3. Combine egg, sugar, molasses, shortening and vanilla.
4. Sift together flour, salt and soda.
5. Stir into shortening mixture with nuts and dates.
6. Pour mixture into the pan.
7. Bake in a moderate oven 40 minutes, or until done.
8. Mix confectioners' sugar and water until smooth.
9. Cover half the pan of cookies with frosting before cutting into bars