Fabulous Date Bars
|Soy oil||80 Milliliter (1/3 Cup)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Honey||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Blackstrap molasses||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Finely grated lemon rind/Orange rind / both||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Pitted dates||250 Milliliter, chopped (1 Cup)|
|Rolled oats||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Whole wheat flour||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Wheat germ||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Brewer's yeast||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||150 Milliliter (2/3 Cup)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||125 Milliliter, chopped (1/2 Cup)|
|Sunflower seeds||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
1. Lightly grease a 15-inch X 10-inch baking pan with oil.
2. Preheat the oven to 325Â°F (165Â°C.)
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine first 4 ingredients and beat well until blended.
4. Stir in next 3 ingredients.
5. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients except baking soda.
6. In a cup, dissolve baking soda into measured buttermilk.
7. Stir the dry ingredients in batches, into the oil -egg mixture, alternating with buttermilk, whisking until a well blended batter is formed.
8. Turn and spread batter in oiled baking pan.
9. Top with walnuts and raw sunflower seeds sprinkled over the batter and lightly pressed with back of spoon.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until firm and golden.
11. Remove from oven and let cool in pan.
12. Cut into bars, squares or diamonds and serve at tea time or wrap in plastic wrap and carry as a nutri bar.