Caramel Cashew Shortbread Bars
|Sifted powdered sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut up|
|Caramels||14 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Whipping cream||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Finely chopped unsalted cashews||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Divided, 1/2 plus 1/4 cup)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Regular oats||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), uncooked|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), melted|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour and the powdered sugar
3. Add the butter or margarine and using your fingertips, rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles cake crumbs. You can also use a pastry blender or 2 palette knives for the same.
4. Turn the mixture into a 13-inch X 9-inch baking pan and press firmly to cover bottom on the pan
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until the crust is golden then remove from the oven.
6. In the mean while, in a small saucepan, combine the caramels and the cream and melt into a thick sauce over a low flame, stirring often.
7. Stir in ¼ cup unsalted cashew and take off the flame.
8. Pour this fudge over the crust and spread evenly using a palette knife or spatula.
9. Make a streusel mixture by blending together remaining flour, oats, brown sugar, cashews and melted butter.
10. Sprinkle this over the fudge sauce on the crust.
11. Return to the oven for 20 minutes until the top and edges are golden brown.
12. Remove from oven and allow to cool and harden.
13. Cut into squares or bars while slightly warm using a sharp pastry knife.
14. Serve these at your Holiday party.