Lemon Coconut Bar Cookies
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cut into small pieces|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Sweetened, flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sweetened|
|Powdered sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Lemon, rind||1 Teaspoon, grated (lemon)|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
1. Grease a 9-inch sqaure baking tin with butter or baking spray.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar.
4. Add the butter and using your fingertips, rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles cake crumbs. You can also use a pastry blender or 2 palette knives for the same.
5. Turn the mixture into the greased pan and spread evenly, pressing lightly.
6. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven then remove tin and allow it to cool.
7. In the meantime, in a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, lemon juice and eggs. Whisk using a wire whisk or fork.
8. Stir in the coconut.
9. Pour and spread over the crust and return to the oven for 20 minutes or until mixture is set and lightly browned.
10. Remove from oven and cool slightly in the tin then carefully loosen the sides with a spatula remove on a wire rack to cool and harden.
11. Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice and rind to make a glaze and spread it over the cookie crust.
12. Cut into squares while still warm using a sharp pastry knife.
13. Serve these at a tea party or pack them and include in your Christmas or Holiday gift hampers.