Chewy Prune Bars
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
|Cold coffee||2 Tablespoon|
|Semi sweet chocolate pieces||12 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 Large|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped pitted prunes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Grease a 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-by-l-inch jelly-roll pan. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Make Crust: In medium bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, the baking powder and salt. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in 1/2 cup butter to resemble coarse cornmeal. With fork, stir in egg yolk and coffee just until mixture forms a dough.
3. Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan (crust will be thin). Bake 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven; sprinkle with chocolate pieces; bake 2 minutes longer. Remove pan from oven. With spatula, spread chocolate evenly over crust. Let crust cool on wire rack several minutes to set chocolate.
4. Make Topping: In medium bowl, with portable electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, egg white and vanilla; mix until well blended (mixture may look curdled). Stir in chopped prunes and walnuts. Spread mixture evenly over chocolate.
5. Bake 25 minutes longer, or until light golden. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into 32 bars; sprinkle confectioners' sugar over top.