Spicy Apple Bars Sweetened With Brown Sugar
|Plain flour||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Margarine||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Soft light brown sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Soft brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Cooking apple||2 Small (Or 1 Large)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F/ 200° C
2. Grease a shallow, 7 inch square baking tin with butter.
3. Peel, core and dice the apples. Keep in a bowl. Sprinkle lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
4. In a mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt
5. Cut butter into small cubes and add to the flour.
6. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it is all incorporated and the mixture has a sandy texture resembling bread crumbs.
7. Add the sugar and mix well.
8. Turn this crumble mixture into the greased tin and spread to evenly layer the bottom.
9. Combine the apples with sugar and cinnamon. Turn this filling into the tin and spread over the base.
10. Dot the apple mixture with butter.
11. Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
12. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 portions.
13. Serve Apple bars hot with custard or cold with ice cream or clotted cream if desired.