Coconut Marshmallow Bars
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||6 Tablespoon, melted|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), flaked|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat sugar and 4 tablespoons butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla until very fluffy.
3. Add flour mixed with baking powder and salt to sugar mixture. Beat on low speed until dough is smooth, scraping down side of bowl frequently with a rubber spatula. Spread dough over bottom of prepared pan, leveling surface with a rubber scraper.
4. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove pan to a rack.
5. Meanwhile, place coconut on a baking sheet and toast in oven 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
6. In a medium saucepan, warm marshmallows and remaining 2 tablespoons butter over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from heat and stir in remainingl teaspoon vanilla. Pour over cookie crust; sprinkle with toasted coconut and set aside 2 to 3 hours to cool completely.
7. To serve, cut into 25 bars with a moist knife. Store between layers of wax paper in a tightly covered container. If bars are cut before completely cool, marshmallow will spread together and will need to be recut once cool in order to separate completely.