Walnut Bar Cookies
|Egg whites||2 , unbeaten|
|Packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), melted and cooled|
|Egg yolks||2 , unbeaten|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Confectioners' sugar||To Taste|
Make any time up to 2 weeks ahead:
1. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Beat in brown sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
2. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
3. Onto wax paper sift flour with baking powder; sprinkle over egg-white mixture.
4. In small bowl mix butter with egg yolks; pour over flour mixture on egg-white mixture; sprinkle on walnuts. With rubber spatula, fold mixture together just until well mixed. Turn into a 9-by-9-by-2-inch cake pan that has been lined with wax paper, then greased and floured.
5. Bake 25 minutes, or until cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean.
6. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then cut into 24 214-by-1 1/2-inch bars. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Store in cookie jar.