Walnut Bar Cookies
|Egg whites||2 , unbeaten|
|Packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), melted and cooled|
|Egg yolks||2 , unbeaten|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Confectioners' sugar||To Taste|
Make any time up to 2 weeks ahead:
1. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Beat in brown sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
2. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
3. Onto wax paper sift flour with baking powder; sprinkle over egg-white mixture.
4. In small bowl mix butter with egg yolks; pour over flour mixture on egg-white mixture; sprinkle on walnuts. With rubber spatula, fold mixture together just until well mixed. Turn into a 9-by-9-by-2-inch cake pan that has been lined with wax paper, then greased and floured.
5. Bake 25 minutes, or until cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean.
6. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then cut into 24 214-by-1 1/2-inch bars. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Store in cookie jar.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2435 Calories from Fat 1158
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 135 g207.3%
Saturated Fat 47.6 g238.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 531.4 mg177.1%
Sodium 406.3 mg16.9%
Total Carbohydrates 287 g95.7%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.6%
Sugars 224.9 g
Protein 34 g67.4%
Vitamin A 46.5% Vitamin C 2.2%
Calcium 44.9% Iron 46.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet