Chocolate Halfway Bars
|Sifted all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Double acting baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), packed|
|Egg yolk||1 , unbeaten|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Semisweet chocolate pieces||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , unbeaten|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), packed|
1. Start heating oven to 375Â°F.
2. Sift flour with salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
3. Mix shortening, granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar until very light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, water, and vanilla; mix well. Mix in flour thoroughly. Press into greased 12-by-8-by-2-inch baking dish; top with chocolate.
4. Beat egg white until stiff; gradually beat in 1/2 cup brown sugar. Spread over chocolate.
5. Bake 25 minutes, or until done.
6. While still warm cut into 32 bars; cool in baking dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2748 Calories from Fat 1233
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 140 g215.1%
Saturated Fat 47.3 g236.3%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 185.1 mg61.7%
Sodium 672.7 mg28%
Total Carbohydrates 369 g123.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.5%
Sugars 265 g
Protein 18 g36.9%
Vitamin A 4.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 22.6% Iron 36.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet