Chocolate Halfway Bars
|Sifted all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Double acting baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), packed|
|Egg yolk||1 , unbeaten|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Semisweet chocolate pieces||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , unbeaten|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), packed|
1. Start heating oven to 375Â°F.
2. Sift flour with salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
3. Mix shortening, granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar until very light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, water, and vanilla; mix well. Mix in flour thoroughly. Press into greased 12-by-8-by-2-inch baking dish; top with chocolate.
4. Beat egg white until stiff; gradually beat in 1/2 cup brown sugar. Spread over chocolate.
5. Bake 25 minutes, or until done.
6. While still warm cut into 32 bars; cool in baking dish.